From Hull AWE
Jump to: navigation, search

A cleric is the usual word these days for what used to be called 'a clerk in holy orders': a professional in a religion, such as a priest, a minister, a rabbi or an imam. There is also the expression 'a member of the clergy'. Both these have become more common for professionals in religion as clerk has become predominantly used to denote jobs with less status than that of religious professionals.

However, the adjective clerical is primarily used to describe 'things to do with written records'. A 'clerical error', in particular, is akin to a 'typing mistake' or 'copying mistake'. In correct and formal English, clerical is still used to describe things to do with religious professionals; but most people in Britain have such people very far from their daily minds. They are much more likely to be speaking of humdrum jobs in offices.