This is a bibliography page, concerning a work to which reference is made elsewhere in this guide.
- Collins, Frederick Howard (11th ed, 1973) Authors' and Printers' Dictionary, London, Oxford University Press.
The first edition appeared in 1905. The 3rd edition was published in 1909, and the 4th in 1912. The 10th edition (1956), at least, had the subtitle a guide for authors, editors, printers, correctors of the press, compositors and typists. In 1981, this venerable title was succeeded by
- The Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors, compiled by the Oxford English Dictionary Department, (1981), Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1981.
This was described by the publisher as "... successor to eleven editions of the Authors' and Printers' Dictionary first published under the editorship of F. Howard Collins ..."
In turn, it was followed by
- Stevenson, Angus and Brown, Lesley (edd) (2005) the New Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors: the Essential A-Z Guide to the Written Word, Oxford: Oxford University Press
- The second edition, edited and compiled by R.M. Ritter was in 2000, and a version appeared with the description
- Allen, R.E. (compiler) (1981), The Oxford Writers' Dictionary, Oxford University Press,
- You may also like to consult Hart's Rules.