The following is a relatively comprehensive explanation of what you will need to do in order to write a good essay.
First, what are essays and why are students required to write them? A student assignment in the form of an essay usually has all the following characteristics; it
- - is a piece of continuous, extended writing (in other words, it does not usually contain sub- headings),
- - varies in length from one to five thousand words,
- - explores a given topic, often analytically,
- - is based on information from multiple sources,
- - is based on careful thought, your own (within the parameters of your subject area), that of others or both.
If you think of an essay as a learning experience, or exploration of a topic, you may write better essays than if you view them merely as forms of assessment
- Why is essay writing important? Because it:
- - illustrates to you and to your tutor how well you have understood a given topic,
- - helps you to clarify your ideas,
- - develops critical thinking, and the judgement that is expected of a graduate,
- - is one of the key skills in your education (written communication),
- - develops generic skills (time management, information gathering, logical thinking & planning),
- - provides the opportunity for feedback on your progress,
- - may count towards your degree classification.