Loeb

From Hull AWE
Jump to: navigation, search

This is a bibliography page, concerning a work to which reference is made elsewhere in this guide.


The Loeb Classical Library is a collection of texts from the classical periods of ancient Greece and Rome. Each volume is a reputable edition of the text concerned in its original Greek or Latin language, with, on the facing page, a practical English translation designed to help students read the original. These translations do not aim at elegance: they aim at accuracy, and assisting the reader to make sense of the original text. In the Library, texts originally written in Greek are presented in green hardback covers, and those originally in Latin in red hardback covers. All are uniformly priced and presented (the format is 4.5 x 6.5 inches, or 111 x 168 mm). For a complete list of volumes currently available go to the website at http://www.hup.harvard.edu/loeb/author.html.

The Loeb Library was founded by James Loeb (1867 - 1933), a rich American who left his family banking career in 1902 to apply his resources to furthering the arts (he was a talented musician) and supporting charities. In 1912 the first 20 volumes appeared, published by Heinemann in London. By the end of the First World War, 54 volumes had appeared, and by his death in 1933, there were nearly 500. James Loeb left the Loeb Library, with a handsome endowment, to Harvard University, who decided to leave the printing with Heinemann's, themselves acting only as US distributor. After various disruptions caused by the Second World War and amalgamations in the publishing sector, Harvard took over the whole business in 1989. The Harvard University Press still runs the Loeb Classical Library - for more, see http://www.hup.harvard.edu/loeb/index.html.