Mauritshuis

From Hull AWE
Jump to: navigation, search

The Mauritshuis in The Hague is the great art gallery that houses the Dutch Royal collection of paintings at its core, subsequently enlarged, and many of the masterpieces of Dutch art are to be found there. It is named after Count Johan Maurits of Nassau-Siegen ('Maurice of Nassau') (1604-1679), a cousin of stadtholder Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange, who put up the building (~ '[John] Maurice's house') between 1633 and 1641. It was designed by Jacob van Campen (1595-1657), and is itself a masterpiece of Dutch architecture.