From Hull AWE
This is a bibliography page, concerning a work to which reference is made elsewhere in this guide.
- Mitford, Nancy (ed.) (1956) Noblesse Oblige: an enquiry into the identifiable characteristics of the English Aristocracy, London, Hamish Hamilton
- This volume is a collection containing;
- Ross, Alan S.C. 'U and non-U', a condensed and simplified version of Ross, Alan S. C. (1954) 'Linguistic class-indicators in present-day English' Neuphilologische Mitteilungen (Helsinki)
- Mitford, Nancy, 'The English Aristocracy'; originally appeared in Encounter (London) in 1954
- Waugh, Evelyn 'An Open Letter to the Honble Mrs, Peter Rodd (NANCY MITFORD) on a Very Serious Subject'; originally appeared in Encounter (London) in 1954.
- 'Strix' [Peter Fleming] 'Posh Lingo', expanded from an article in The Spectator (London)
- Sykes, Christopher, 'What U-future?'
- Betjeman, John, 'How to Get On in Society', a poem reprinted from A Few Late Chrysanthemums (1954), London, John Murray
- The volume was illustrated by Osbert Lancaster