From Hull AWE
You looked for Ned, NED or something similar. Ned can be
- an informal shortening of Edward
|Short form||Long form||Informal or written||Other short forms||Remarks|
|Ned||Edward||informal||Ed; Eddie; Ted; Teddy|
- Note that any informal form may be spelled in different ways. Notably, any spelling listed that ends in '-ie' may be written with the ending '-y', and vice versa.
- NED (all (capitals) is the recognised abbreviation for the New English Dictionary, the publication which in 1928 became the OED.
Less commonly seen are:
- In Scotland, a ned is slang for 'a hooligan', or 'street lout'. This parallels the term more widely used in other areas, a Ted, or Teddy Boy.
- Economic historians may come across the informal shortening Neddy, or NED, for the National Economic Development Council, a government organization to develop the British economy which existed between 1982 and 1992.