From Hull AWE
Jump to: navigation, search

The word 'Object' is used in the study of grammar to label words or phrases performing several different functions. (Many modern grammarians prefer to use the terminology complement - ~ 'that which completes') - as a label for this, subdividing thisa into Complement Object Direct, prepositional complement etc.)

Two Objects normally follow verbs (other word orders are possible). These are traditionally known as the Direct Object and the Indirect Object. The modern approach calls them COd (or Complement Object direct) and COi (or Complement Object indirect). (This order of the words was a help in early efforts to computeise natural language: it enabled some kinds of grouping to be done quickly.)