Check - tick

From Hull AWE
Revision as of 10:14, 3 September 2018 by PeterWilson (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

When American surveys or questionnaires ask the reader to check a box (or, in computer software, sometimes uncheck a box), they are asking for an 'x' or a ✔ (tick mark) to be made in the appropriate place. The mark ✔ is usually called a 'tick' in British English, and the usual instruction in questionnaires and so on is 'Tick the box'.

See check - cheque for a note on spelling those words.