From Hull AWE
Jump to: navigation, search

In British English, the classical Greek ἀρχαῖος‚ (archaios, ~ 'old', 'ancient') is usually represented by the prefix archaeo-. (In older English, it was sometimes archaio-.) So we write archaeology for the study of old objects - things, buildings and the sites where they are found and 'dug up' (more properly, in academic English, excavated).

US English, in its search for a more logical spelling system, sometimes spells the word archeology. This is wrong in current British academic English.