Baugh and Cable
From Hull AWE
This is a bibliography page, concerning a work to which reference is made elsewhere in this guide.
- Baugh, A.C. and Cable, T. A History of the English Language.
This standard and valuable work has been published by various publishers in its long life.
- The first edition, by Albert C, Baugh (1891-1981) alone, was in 1936, published in New York and London by D. Appleton-Century Co.
- The second edition was published in London by Routledge & Kegan Paul, in 1959 and in New York by Appleton-Century-Crofts in 1963.
- In the third edition (1978), Baugh was joined by Thomas Cable. This was published in the USA by Englewood Cliffs, N.J., and Prentice-Hall
- After the death of Baugh in 1981, Cable became the sole editor of the work which now bears both their names. The fourth edition, of 1993, was published in London by Routledge,
- The fifth edition, of 2002, was also published in London by Routledge. (This edition is also available on line.)
- The sixth edition was published in the USA by Longman, Upper Saddle River, N.J. in 2012, and in London by Pearson, in 2013.