Collage - college

From Hull AWE
Jump to: navigation, search

The spellchecker can allow you to make this elementary error, so you will have to make sure that you correct it when you are proof-reading.

  • In academic writing, you are far more likely to want college. This is mostly a name for an educational institution. (The word originally meant a group of people banded together for some purpose, generally of a religious or professional type.) It is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, 'KOLL-idge', IPA: /ˈkɒl ɪ (or ə) dʒ/. For more on the complexities in the meaning of the word, see college (institution)
  • A collage is a work of art made by sticking things. Most usually, it is a picture made by sticking other bits of printed matter together. Sometimes it involves adding other objects to the artwork made in this way. It is pronounced in the French way (collage was borrowed from French coller, meaning 'to stick'), with the stress on the second syllable and a much softer sound to the '-g-', 'koll-AHJ', IPA: /kɒ (or ə) l ˈɑːʒ/.
You may also want to see colleague - college for another confusion.